For The Chilli-garlic Paste (makes Approx. 1/2 Cup)
5 to 6 whole dry kashmiri red chillies , deseeded
8 to 10 clove garlic(lehsun), roughly chopped
For The Bhaji
2 tbsp butter
1 tbsp oil
1 tbsp cumin seeds (jeera)
3/4 cup finely chopped onions
1/2 cup chopped capsicum
1 1/2 cups finely chopped tomatoes
1 1/2 tbsp pav bhaji masala
2 tsp chilli powder
salt to taste
1/2 cup boiled and lightly mashed green peas
1 1/2 cups boiled , peeled and mashed potatoes
2 tbsp finely chopped coriander (dhania)
For The Pav
8 ladi pav
8 tsp butter for cooking
1 tsp pav bhaji masala
1 cup finely chopped onions
4 lemon wedges
4 roasted papad
4 tsp butter
For The Garnish
4 tbsp chopped coriander (dhania)
For the chilli-garlic paste
- Soak the red chillies in enough warm water for atleast an hour.
- Drain the chillies, add the garlic and blend in a mixer till smooth, adding little water. Keep aside.
For the bhaji
- Heat the butter and oil in a kadhai and add the cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the chilli-garlic paste and sauté on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the onions and sauté for 3 to 4 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the capsicum and sauté for 1 more minute.
- Add the tomatoes and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, mash well using a potato masher.
- Add the salt, pav bhaji masala, chilli powder and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add the green peas, potatoes, mix well and cook along with 1/3 cup of water for 1 to 2 minutes, while mashing it with the help of a masher.
- Add the coriander, mix well and cook for 1 minute.
For the pav
- Slit 2 pavs vertically and keep aside.
- Heat a large tava, add 2 tsp of butter and slit open the pavs and place on it.
- Cook on a medium flame till they turn light brown and crisp on both the sides. (add more butter if required).
How to serve
- Place ¼th of hot bhaji, 2 pavs, ¼ cup of onions, a lemon wedge and a papad on a plate.
- Top the bhaji with 1 tsp of butter and serve immediately garnished with 1 tsp of coriander.
- Repeat with the remaining ingredients to make 3 more plates.
- Pav bhaji masala is a spice blend, which is readily available under different brand names at most grocery stores.
Content Courtesy: www.tarladalal.com